I’m sorry, I have to chime in as the morons on the right are making something out of nothing about the Coca-Cola commercial celebrating diversity during the Super Bowl. Uh, Coke is not multicultural and couldn’t care less, while the right-wing racists show their true color. As a person of color, I find both Coke and the right wingers racist.
Coca-Cola is a multi-billion dollar corporation worth more than $173.05 billion according to Forbes and is number 3 as the richest corporation in the world. Like any corporation, Coke has a fiduciary duty to make a profit. Their commercial America the Beautiful (ATB) is proof that they would make a profit any way they can, which includes making the song ATB a catch-phrase to make money.
This caused a lot of controversy from the right and not the fact that Coke exploited immigrants but because Coke allowed ATB to be sung in a language other than English. A tweet from someone named Millie Weaver states:
If Millie read 8 U.S. Code § 1423, she would have know that this does not apply to corporations but to immigrants wanting to become naturalized:
(a) No person except as otherwise provided in this subchapter shall hereafter be naturalized as a citizen of the United States upon his own application who cannot demonstrate—
(1) an understanding of the English language, including an ability to read, write, and speak words in ordinary usage in the English language: Provided, That the requirements of this paragraph relating to ability to read and write shall be met if the applicant can read or write simple words and phrases to the end that a reasonable test of his literacy shall be made and that no extraordinary or unreasonable condition shall be imposed upon the applicant; and
(2) a knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of the history, and of the principles and form of government, of the United States.
(1) The requirements of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to any person who is unable because of physical or developmental disability or mental impairment to comply therewith.
(2) The requirement of subsection (a)(1) of this section shall not apply to any person who, on the date of the filing of the person’s application for naturalization as provided in section 1445 of this title, either—
(A) is over fifty years of age and has been living in the United States for periods totaling at least twenty years subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence, or
(B) is over fifty-five years of age and has been living in the United States for periods totaling at least fifteen years subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence.
(3) The Attorney General, pursuant to regulations, shall provide for special consideration, as determined by the Attorney General, concerning the requirement of subsection (a)(2) of this section with respect to any person who, on the date of the filing of the person’s application for naturalization as provided in section 1445 of this title, is over sixty-five years of age and has been living in the United States for periods totaling at least twenty years subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence.
So using Millie’s right-wing logic, does that mean we can revoke her U.S. citizenship and deport her for not having a grasp of the English language as per Section (1)(a)? According to Raw Story, there are more racist tweets and by the looks of things, if Section (1)(a) of 8 U.S. Code § 1423 requires immigrants to have a grasp of the English language, suffice it to say that if these folks were immigrants seeking to become U.S. citizens, they would fail miserably?
As a Person of Color, I am offended by both parties and if I were to boycott Coke for exploiting multiculturalism, I then would ask ICE, in all fairness, to deport these Twitter morons as they lack the basic English skills to live in the United States.