The facility where 12 people shot in 2013 is on lockdown again after reports of a shooting on the second floor of the building.
CNN is reporting that Building 197 has been evacuated, and so far nothing has been found during a room to room search:
Police are searching building 197 on Thursday morning, the same building where the 2013 Navy Yard shooting took place, a source with DC’s Metropolitan Police Department tells CNN. Police have cleared part of that building, according to the same law enforcement source.
The source said the original 911 call reported a shooting on the second floor. The source confirmed that the Metropolitan Police and multiple law enforcement agencies are checking for a person with a gun in the building.
The U.S. Navy says the facility is under a shelter-in-place order.
The call could be a hoax ahead of the holiday weekend, but first responders are taking no chances while they are searching a massive facility that employs 16,000 people.
The idea that another shooting could occur so soon after the mass shooting in Charleston is troubling, but it is a byproduct of the easy gun culture in this country.
There is an increasing terror threat because of the upcoming holiday weekend. Even if there is no shooter this time, we know that it is only a matter of time until more incident lives are lost to mass shooting gun violence.