Fox News Defends Their “Fair and Balanced” 2009 Election Coverage

On his FNC show yesterday Neil Cavuto launched into a defense of Fox News’ 2009 election coverage. Cavuto said, “We are not red. We are not blue. We are all about green…your money.” However, this does not explain why Fox News has done 16 segments over the past two weeks with candidates Chris Christie, Bob McConnell, and Doug Hoffman.

Here is the Neil Cavuto video:

Due to some criticism by Shep Smith over the lack of balance in some of the network’s coverage, Cavuto said, “The notion that the better part of fair and balanced is not to include any interview with any candidate because his opponent refuses to come on is something that we simply don’t subscribe to here. The alternative for you would be no guests…Here is why that doesn’t suit me or you. We talk to those who will talk, and go the extra mile to include the questions and criticisms of even those who refuse to talk to us, so invite all parties, all candidates, all the time. Sometimes, in fact most times, we make real pests of ourselves, but we always try because you deserve that always, so let me be very, very clear again. We are not red. We are not blue. You know what we are? We’re green. We’re all about green. You’re green. Your money and who’s accountable for your money.”

If this is the case, it would be hear the explanation of this little fun fact from Media Matters, “In the two weeks leading up to their November 3 elections, Conservative Party congressional candidate Doug Hoffman, New Jersey Republican gubernatorial candidate Chris Christie, and Virginia Republican gubernatorial candidate Bob McDonnell appeared on Fox News and its personalities’ radio shows at least 16 times for live interviews lasting a total of 114 minutes 36 seconds.”

Fox News’ defense is that Democrats won’t come on the network, but if FNC behaved like an unbiased news organization, I am sure that members of all parties would be beating down their doors to get some free media. It is more that a bit disingenuous to claim that people refuse to come on their air, without explaining why.

What has really jumped out at me about their coverage is that Fox News because the Doug Hoffman/Chris Christie network, especially over the past week. FNC has become the publicity arm for these two candidates. There is distinction between covering an election, and advocating for candidates. Fox News has been disguising electioneering as coverage for the past two weeks, so it is hard to believe that the door is really open for all candidates to come on FNC.

4 Replies to “Fox News Defends Their “Fair and Balanced” 2009 Election Coverage”

  1. We are not red. We are not blue we just like to lie to you, we lie we change the truth, vote for who we say in the voting booth, we scream we cheer we hate, Obama even when he drinks a beer, yes we are fox news oh yes we are fair and balance only if you lower the bar. OK so I suck at rhyming

  2. How quickly you forgot! The Whitehouse was boycotting FOX news, something that borders on stifling free speech. They are so discombobulated what with their snide Chicago politics and their elitest attitudes that they thought they could actually get away with that.

    Hot flash: they didn’t. Keep on keeping on Libs! You will be totally out of office the day after the election in 2012. You don’t get it! I am an independent and the ranks of us are growing!

  3. If Fox News is so “right-wing” driven, then they wouldn’t be consistently leading in the ratings. It is really sad when fair and balanced news coverage is considered “extreme” by those who get their panties in a wad because most of the country is against socialism. Time to wake up and smell the coffee. According to Gallup, the majority of this country is conservative. If you don’t like it, move to Cuba, I am sure they will welcome you with open arms.

  4. Pew poll found the majority of those who watched Fox news said it was a conservative news station not fair and balanced at all, those were people who watched fox news and as for your poll it says that 40% are conservative that means added together the rest of the people are not, 60% so that means you still lose and as for socialism do you like the police or the fire fighters, road system, education system, Medicare, Medicaid, social security, and any other of a multitude of different thing that are socialistic in nature you are filled with fail and aids.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.