Photo courtesy of Gawker Magazine
Under current federal law, the only people who are not allowed to have firearms are:
- Is under indictment for, or has been convicted of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than 1 year
- Is a fugitive from justice
- Is an unlawful user of, or addicted to, a controlled substance
- Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution
- Is an illegal alien or has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa
- Was dishonorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces
- Has renounced U.S. citizenship
- Is subject to a court order restraining him or her from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child
- Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
- Is under age 18 for long guns or under age 21 for handguns.
As a firearm owner, I have no issue with these rules, so long as I can legally purchase them. Apparently, many on the right feel that President Barack Obama is trying to take away our rights by banning firearms…huh? As a matter of fact, I enjoy a gun-free Yosemite National Park, where I could listen to nature instead of a Glock 9 mm shattering the peace.
Also, Obama overturned a law prohibiting firearms on Amtrak trains…why? These two laws are making me nervous and I wonder at times if Obama is in the pockets of the NRA. Apparently the folks on the right don’t think so and an actor named Shannon Richardson of Walking Dead fame plead guilty to sending pro-Second Amendment letters filled with toxic ricin to Barack Obama and former New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg.
According to Gawker Magazine, Richardson maintained that her husband, Nathaniel, had forced her to print out and send the letters, but he told authorities that she was trying to devise a way to leave him. She later admitted in court it was all her idea, and she had attempted to frame her husband. Apparently, Richardson believed that Obama wanted to ban firearms and sent the letters filled with ricin
Where does the hate of our President come from? One such place it can come from is Republicans. According to fellow reporter Rmuse, Virginia Republican Leader Tries to Incite Assassination Attempt On President Obama , the story shows in a roundabout way of justifying an assassination plot. As much as I hated Bush Jr., he was our president and any harm to him would be “unamerican.”
When mentally ill folks read stories of gun banning or watch Fox News, they react accordingly. Logically, as mentioned above, the President loosened gun restrictions so firearm owners can legally carry in federal parks. Yet being a Democratic president and a BLACK man, the racist politicians would rather see people of color either as slaves or in prison.
I am considering getting rid of my firearms but when you see racist right wingers who are willing to threaten the President, who has enough protection from the evildoers on the right, I am hesitant as a person of color to do so, because, maybe one day, I will need to defend myself from these domestic terrorists…yes, domestic terrorists.
Tim’s first experience into journalism was at East Los Angeles College. Then Tim was a stringer for a local Japanese American Newspaper in Los Angeles. He then completed his Bachelors in Business and RECEIVED his MBA, but his desire to seek the truth has not been assuaged by fear of the 1% or their followers. When Tim isn’t doing his liberal thing, he enjoys sitting back, relaxing and listening to Rush…the band folks!