Appearing on the The 700 Club, televangelist Pat Robertson said those who oppose Trump are revolting against God. It is easy to imagine Donald Trump agrees with Pat Robertson. Trump let the Religious Right anoint him as their messiah, after all.
And that was precisely Robertson’s point in citing Psalm 2:2:
“The kings of the earth rise up and the rulers band together against the Lord and against his anointed.”
Watch courtesy of Right Wing Watch:
I think, somehow, the Lord’s plan is being put in place for America and these people are not only revolting against Trump, they’re revolting against what God’s plan is for America. These other people have been trying to destroy America. These left-wingers and so-called progressives are trying to destroy the country that we love and take away the freedoms they love. They want collectivism. They want socialism. What we’re looking at is free markets and freedom from this terrible, overarching bureaucracy. They want to fight as much as they can but I think the good news is the Bible says, “He that sits in the heavens will laugh them to scorn,” and I think that Trump’s someone on his side that is a lot more powerful than the media.
Now hold on a second. You anointed him. We didn’t. Last we checked, evangelicals count only for about one-quarter of the electorate, and 25 percent of the people don’t get to dictate to the remaining 75 percent.
That’s not how this works. As it was, Trump actually lost the popular vote. Just on basic math alone, you fail, Pat Robertson.
Believe it or not, it gets crazier, as end-times radio host Rick Wiles claims Michael Flynn was forced out by “devil-worshiping, Luciferian, demon-possessed maniacs” as opposed to lying to Mike Pence (Trump’s version) or because he illegally talked to the Russian ambassador (fact-based version).
In fact, Robertson’s bizarre religion-based claim aside, it would be difficult to make a cogent argument in favor of Robertson’s claim. First of all, American presidents are not anointed. They are sworn in. They don’t swear to do God’s will. They swear to uphold the Constitution.
And the Constitution establishes clearly defined parameters known commonly as the Separation of Powers, among which are included judicial review. Trump – and Robertson – think Trump is a king. He is not.
Moreover, as is equally well established, the United States Constitution does not mention Robertson’s “God” or any other god, let alone name a deity head of state.
God doesn’t even get a vote. This is a government of the people, by the people, and for the people, in which political power derives from the will of the people. Not, as in the Old World, from God through some earthly king or Pope who claims he speaks for God.
That is clearly established, whatever Donald Trump and some of his Republican allies may think. That’s what was kind of revolutionary about the Revolution.
If it comes down to God vs. the American people, the American people win. The Constitution says so. And while Robertson may claim God is more powerful than the press, the Constitution has him there too.
The First Amendment says “there is no…infringing on the freedom of the press.” Not by Donald Trump. Not even by God.
Hrafnkell Haraldsson, a social liberal with leanings toward centrist politics has degrees in history and philosophy. His interests include, besides history and philosophy, human rights issues, freedom of choice, religion, and the precarious dichotomy of freedom of speech and intolerance. He brings a slightly different perspective to his writing, being that he is neither a follower of an Abrahamic faith nor an atheist but a polytheist, a modern-day Heathen who follows the customs and traditions of his Norse ancestors. He maintains his own blog, A Heathen’s Day, which deals with Heathen and Pagan matters, and Mos Maiorum Foundation www.mosmaiorum.org, dedicated to ethnic religion. He has also contributed to NewsJunkiePost, GodsOwnParty and Pagan+Politics.