China Slams Trump for ‘Irresponsible’ North Korea Accusations

Advertisements

China on Saturday denounced Donald Trump’s accusation that Beijing is stalling efforts to disarm North Korea as “irresponsible.”

The remarks came after Trump said an upcoming trip to Pyongyang by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had been cancelled due to lack of progress on the issue of nuclear disarmament.

Advertisements

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang said in a statement posted on the website of the Chinese government agency that, “The US statement is contrary to basic facts and is irresponsible. We are seriously concerned about this.”

Trump caused the international incident on Friday when he said that “because of our much tougher trading stance with China, I do not believe they are helping with the process of North Korea denuclearization as they once were.”

There is no evidence, of course, that this is true. It appears as if Trump again is looking for a scapegoat for a bad situation that he caused by his own actions. It was Trump who claimed that North Korea would denuclearize and he would bring peace to world, and he should win the Nobel Peace Prize. Every knowledgeable person knew that Kim Jong Un was lying and had no intention of getting rid of his nuclear weapons because that is how he keeps his international power and prestige. Plus, he has always lied about it in the past.

So Trump on Friday said he has asked Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to put off his planned visit to North Korea. He said it is their fault that there is no progress in efforts to dismantle its nuclear program.

The president posted a series of three tweets saying that a high-level visit is not appropriate at “this time, because I feel we are not making sufficient progress with respect to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.” He also accused China of not “helping with the process of denuclearization as they once were,” pointing to “our much tougher Trading stance” with the nation as the cause of the rift.

“I have asked Secretary of State Mike Pompeo not to go to North Korea, at this time, because I feel we are not making sufficient progress with respect to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula…

…Additionally, because of our much tougher Trading stance with China, I do not believe they are helping with the process of denuclearization as they once were (despite the UN Sanctions which are in place)…

…Secretary Pompeo looks forward to going to North Korea in the near future, most likely after our Trading relationship with China is resolved. In the meantime I would like to send my warmest regards and respect to Chairman Kim. I look forward to seeing him soon!”

Pompeo was scheduled to make his fourth visit to North Korea next week to follow up on discussions Trump had with Kim Jong Un.

These new comments from Trump mark the first time he has openly admitted that North Korea’s denuclearization is not going well. After his summit meeting in Singapore in mid-June Trump had declared that North Korea is “no longer a nuclear threat.”