The list of areas that Republicans expect Democrats to investigate if they take back the House has leaked, and it numbers more than 100 items. Trump‘s White House is totally unprepared for this level of oversight.
Axios obtained the Republican list of likely Democratic investigative targets that include:
– President Trump’s tax returns
– Trump family businesses — and whether they comply with the Constitution’s emoluments clause, including the Chinese trademark grant to the Trump Organization
– Trump‘s dealings with Russia, including the president’s preparation for his meeting with Vladimir Putin
– The payment to Stephanie Clifford — a.k.a. Stormy Daniels
– James Comey‘s firing
– Trump‘s firing of U.S. attorneys
– Trump‘s proposed transgender ban for the military
– Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin’s business dealings
– White House staff’s personal email use
– Cabinet secretary travel, office expenses, and other misused perks
– Discussion of classified information at Mar-a-Lago
– Jared Kushner‘s ethics law compliance
– Dismissal of members of the EPA board of scientific counselors
– The travel ban
– Family separation policy
– Hurricane response in Puerto Rico
– Election security and hacking attempts
– White House security clearances
The list above didn’t come from guesswork. It came from actual investigative requests that House Democrats have already made, so it presents more than a reliable roadmap of where Democrats are likely to go if they win the House.
Unlike what Republicans used their investigative powers for during the Obama administration, investigating Fox News and talk radio conspiracy theories, Democrats have several current investigations of Trump both civil and criminal that justify serious congressional oversight. The Trump White House is woefully understaffed and not prepared in any way for what is about to hit them if Democrats win in November.
These investigations matter because what they uncover could lead to impeachment and the destruction of the Trump presidency.
The investigative process is a critical step in the process of holding Trump accountable.
Many Trump critics want him impeached, but he can’t be impeached without evidence, and that proof is going to come either from the Special Counsel’s investigation and/or congressional investigations.
House Democrats are preparing to unleash oversight hell, and Trump has no idea what is coming his way.
For more discussion about this story join our Rachel Maddow and MSNBC group.
Follow Jason Easley on Facebook.
Jason is the managing editor. He is also a White House Press Pool and a Congressional correspondent for PoliticusUSA. Jason has a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science. His graduate work focused on public policy, with a specialization in social reform movements.
Awards and Professional Memberships
Member of the Society of Professional Journalists and The American Political Science Association
President Biden let some anger creep into his voice as he talked about how Kevin…
Republicans, led by Mitch McConnell, have recruited Dave McCormick to run against Sen. Bob Casey…
On Sunday, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) expressed the House Democrats' belief that it is not…
Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) lied about Democrats not wanting the CR to pass, but Face…
After Kevin McCarthy caved and a bipartisan CR passed the House with 209 votes, Matt…
Speaker McCarthy's supposedly clean continuing resolution (CR) would effectively give Congress a pay raise while…