Donald Trump‘s politics of racism and division are backfiring as a new poll of Latino voters found that Trump has a 26% approval rating and that Latino voters want a Democratic Congress by a more than 3-1 margin.
A new poll of Latino voters released on Sunday by Noticias Telemundo, NBC News and the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) found that 65% of Latinos disapprove of the job Donald Trump is doing as President, while 26% approve of his performance.
The other key findings from the poll include:
– 64% of Latinos would like Democrats in government vs. 21% who would prefer Republicans.
– Latinos prefer a Congress-controlled by Democrats rather than by Republicans by a 3 to 1 margin, as a check and balance on Trump’s agenda.
– Among younger Latinos, interest in midterms is particularly low: less than half (43%) of Latinos under 40 are highly engaged as the elections approach.
– 63% of Latinos are less likely to vote for a candidate in favor of building a wall on the border compared to 55% of overall voters.
– 77% of registered Latino voters are more likely to support a candidate who favors legal status for DREAMers.
– 52% of Latinos are satisfied with the state of the U.S. economy.
Trump’s Racism Is Backfiring
The political strategy that Trump has chosen to live and die with involves using racism to divide the nation and to fragment political support into so many waring pieces that his relatively small base of solid political support (roughly 25% of voters) can be successful. The problem with this strategy is that it motivates and unifies his opposition.
Trump‘s racist politics are doing the opposite of what he wanted. He is rallying a nation against his presidency and his party. The work that is left to be done is in getting younger Latinos out to vote. The percentage of Latinos under age 40 who are engaged in the midterm election is much too low.
The numbers show that the only wall that Trump has built is a political fortress that is keeping the majority of the country from ever supporting his presidency and party.
For more discussion about this story join our Rachel Maddow and MSNBC group.
Follow Jason Easley on Facebook.
Mr. Easley is the founder/managing editor and Senior White House and Congressional correspondent for PoliticusUSA. Jason has a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science. His graduate work focused on public policy, with a specialization in social reform movements.
Awards and Professional Memberships
Member of the Society of Professional Journalists and The American Political Science Association