The Republican Party is a shipwreck. The entire party is facing a disaster of historic proportions, and its members don’t even see it.
- Republicans lost the House midterm elections by ten million votes — the largest margin in history — and have made no changes to their policies.
- The Republican President, Donald Trump, is the subject of so many investigations that the main question people are asking is: what will come first, indictment or impeachment? The Republican brand has been tainted forever.
- President Trump, against the wishes of his party’s leaders in Congress, said he wants a government shutdown fight over funding for his Mexican border wall.
- And every poll has shown that the vast majority of American voters do not want EITHER a shutdown or a border wall. Even Republicans know that Trump’s immigration policies are toxic.
- A federal judge issued a ruling destroying Obamacare, saying it is now unconstitutional because of a provision of the 2017 GOP tax scam law.
- And every poll has shown that Americans like Obamacare and want the U.S. government to take a more active role in providing healthcare coverage for all Americans.
With respect to the shutdown, “There is no discernible plan, none that’s been disclosed,” said Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn of Texas. So Republicans are backed into a corner. Either Trump backs off his demand for the wall or the government will shut down over the holidays, and Republicans will be blamed.
“The odds are 65/35 we’re shutting down. I’m not optimistic we’re going to see some kind of compromise on appropriations on Homeland Security,” said GOP Rep. Paul Mitchell of Michigan.
“Trump will get the blame, but he won’t care,” added another Republican lawmaker. “And the base will love him for it.”
According to POLITICO:
“The Obamacare decision spells bad news for Republicans, by allowing Democrats to replay a potent health care message that helped them flip 40 House seats: the GOP remains hellbent on gutting Obamacare and rolling back protections for pre-existing conditions.”
“Republicans are never going to give up on trying to take away health care,” Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) told POLITICO. “And it’s hard to figure out how Trump and Mitch McConnell would come up with any strategy to put the pieces back together.”
What will make the ruling a real political disaster for Republicans is when Democrats put Obamacare to a floor vote next year. This will force Republicans in Congress to either support Obamacare by voting for it, or support eliminating the popular healthcare program, along with the popular patient protections for pre-existing conditions.
It is obvious to most political observers that Republicans are being held hostage by the small group of Americans they call their political “base” of supporters. These are the racists and the white supremacists who want to imprison children and take away healthcare from tens of millions of people. These are the ignorant people who support a party that takes away their government benefits to provide tax cuts for billionaires.
So long as the Republican Party supports the unpopular policies demanded by their “base” it will keep sinking in popularity. And as their criminal president rejoices in taking away people’s healthcare, and delights in causing a harmful government shutdown, the party will continue to sink, just like the shipwreck it has become.
I am a lifelong Democrat with a passion for social justice and progressive issues. I have degrees in writing, economics and law from the University of Iowa.