House Intelligence Committee chairman Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) laid out the committee’s areas of investigation, and one of the things they will be looking at is whether Trump and his family laundered money.
In a statement provided to PoliticusUSA, Rep. Schiff said:
During the prior Congress, the Committee began to pursue credible reports of money laundering and financial compromise related to the business interests of President Trump, his family, and his associates. The President’s actions and posture towards Russia during the campaign, transition, and administration have only heightened fears of foreign financial or other leverage over President Trump and underscore the need to determine whether he or those in his Administration have acted in service of foreign interests since taking office.
Unfortunately, these and numerous other avenues of inquiry were not completed during the last Congress. Now, in the 116th Congress, the Committee’s investigation will focus principally on five interconnected lines of inquiry, beginning with these incomplete or unexamined investigative threads:
(1) The scope and scale of the Russian government’s operations to influence the U.S. political process, and the U.S. government’s response, during and since the 2016 election;
(2) The extent of any links and/or coordination between the Russian government, or related foreign actors, and individuals associated with Donald Trump’s campaign, transition, administration, or business interests, in furtherance of the Russian government’s interests;
(3) Whether any foreign actor has sought to compromise or holds leverage, financial or otherwise, over Donald Trump, his family, his business, or his associates;
(4) Whether President Trump, his family, or his associates are or were at any time at heightened risk of, or vulnerable to, foreign exploitation, inducement, manipulation, pressure, or coercion, or have sought to influence U.S. government policy in service of foreign interests; and
(5) Whether any actors – foreign or domestic – sought or are seeking to impede, obstruct, and/or mislead authorized investigations into these matters, including those in the Congress.
The Committee may pursue additional lines of inquiry regarding matters that arise from the investigation, and it intends to cooperate with other congressional committees, as needed, on matters of overlapping interest. The Committee also plans to develop legislation and policy reforms to ensure the U.S. government is better positioned to counter future efforts to undermine our political process and national security.
Rep. Schiff has been talking about investigating Trump for money laundering for months
The Trump family has been bragging for years that they get all of the money that they need for their business projects from Russia. Rep. Schiff is interested in if the Russians are using money laundering as a tool to control Trump and the foreign policy of the United States.
Trump has always feared an investigation into his finances, and with good reason. As Donny Deutsch told MSNBC on Tuesday, “The Trump Organization has always been a dirty organization, every which way. You’re seeing the inaugural committee, seeing the attorney general going after the charities. This is where it ends for this president.”
Adam Schiff is diving into some of Trump’s darkest secrets, and he what he might find has the power to bring Trump and his family down.
For more discussion about this story join our Rachel Maddow and MSNBC group.