Thanks to his Attorney General and a complicit media, last week Donald Trump thought he was winning. It appeared that he was getting away with falsely claiming he had been exonerated by Bob Mueller. Then he started seeking revenge against everyone, and vowed to investigate Democrats, the FBI and anyone else he could think of.
But that was last week, and this week has told a different story.
In fact, yesterday was definitely one of the worst days Donald Trump has ever had. Here is a brief summary of what came down yesterday, all of which may have the cumulative effect of bring down the Trump presidency:
- The day started bad when the House Judiciary Committee voted to authorize a subpoena of the Mueller report.
- The committee also voted to subpoena five top Trump White House aides who have direct knowledge of the president’s obstruction of justice.
- Members of Mueller’s special counsel team, who helped him write the 400 page report, began leaking that the report is actually rather bad for Trump, and that Attorney General William Barr had grossly misrepresented what the report says.
- In what appears to be a coordinated effort by House Democrats, the House Ways and Means Committee formally requested that the IRS turn over Donald Trump’s tax returns within seven days.
- The Miami Herald also reported that the FBI has secretly been running a counterintelligence probe for some time now into what Chinese operatives and other foreign spies have been doing at Mar-a-Lago.
- Also yesterday, the House Oversight Committee issued subpoenas in Trump’s White House security clearance scandal.
- It was revealed that Jared Kushner was given a White House security clearance by Trump even though he poses a clear national security risk.
Donald Trump is now being attacked from every direction, and it is likely that his presidency will not survive these attacks.
It is clear that his attempt to bury the Mueller report has failed, so the report and its underlying evidence will eventually come out. Soon we will find out what he’s been so desperately hiding in his tax returns. We’ll soon discover what caused Trump’s top advisers and family members to be rejected for security clearances. We’ll also find out how he has let spies into Mar-a-Lago, and continually threatened U.S. national security.
For Donald Trump, the bad news keeps on coming. The Southern District of New York may soon issue more indictments against him, his family, and his business. The Attorney General of New York may do the same thing, and she even has the power to destroy Trump’s entire business.
Yesterday was just one awful, horrible, very bad day for Donald Trump. We are sure, however, that there are many more very bad days still to come for the man who is destined to go down in history as the worst ever President of the United States.
I am a lifelong Democrat with a passion for social justice and progressive issues. I have degrees in writing, economics and law from the University of Iowa.