Republicans have refused to join Democrats in pledging not to use hacked or stolen information in the 2020 election campaign.
Nearly three days ago, DCCC Chairwoman Cheri Bustos sent a letter to NRCC Chairman Tom Emmer challenging him to pledge not to use stolen or hacked data.
Rep. Bustos wrote and asked that the NRCC join Democrats in the following pledge:
· We will not participate, aid or encourage hackers or foreign actors in any attempt to influence American elections.
· We will never seek out stolen and/or hacked information for use in any operations.
· We will never use known stolen and/or hacked information, or promote or disseminate stolen and/or hacked materials to the press, regardless of the source and will report any receipt of, or offers to receive, stolen and/or hacked information to law enforcement.
· We will not support any campaign or allied groups that use known stolen and/or hacked information, or promotes or disseminates stolen and/or hacked materials to the press, regardless of the source and will encourage all campaigns to report any receipt of, or offers to receive, stolen and/or hacked information to law enforcement.
· Any foreign actors attempting to participate, operate, influence or contact the committee or any of our campaigns will be reported to appropriate law enforcement immediately.
We call on the chief election officers in all states to ensure the most robust fortification and protection of elections systems leading up to, and during, the 2020 election.
The response from Republicans has been silence.
DCCC Communications Director Jared Smith said in a statement provided to PoliticsUSA,” It shouldn’t take Washington Republicans more than a minute to commit to rejecting hacked or stolen materials in elections, but given their history, it’s not surprising they are refusing to do the right thing. NRCC Chairman Tom Emmer can’t stick his head in the sand forever and he’s going to have to answer this most basic question – will Washington Republicans commit to rejecting stolen or hacked materials or will they continue their complicity in Russia’s attacks on our democracy?”
Republicans Refuse To Promise That They Won’t Take Help From Russia
Republicans couldn’t be more obvious if they were walking around with property of Putin written on their foreheads. Republicans won’t disavow help from Russia because just like the man in the Oval Office, they can’t win without it. The NRCC position is un-American and a betrayal to the country. It is also a reminder that while Trump’s is Putin’s poster boy, the Russians got more than the White House. They own an entire political party.
For more discussion about this story join our Rachel Maddow and MSNBC group.
Mr. Easley is the managing editor, who is White House Press Pool, and a Congressional correspondent for PoliticusUSA. Jason has a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science. His graduate work focused on public policy, with a specialization in social reform movements.
Awards and Professional Memberships
Member of the Society of Professional Journalists and The American Political Science Association