Dominion Voting Systems has sued Newsmax Media Inc. and Herring Networks Inc.’s One America News Network, arguing they defamed Dominion by launching accusations that the voting machine company rigged the 2020 election in favor of President Joe Biden. Dominion also sued Patrick Byrne, who previously served as the chief executive for Overstock.com. Dominion is seeking $1.6 billion in damages. It cited lost profits and other costs.
MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell announced his company would countersue Dominion Voting Systems for $1.6 billion after Dominion filed a $1.3 billion lawsuit against Lindell and the company in February.
“This lawsuit is brought in support of the marketplace of ideas and to remedy the grave harm that has been suffered by MyPillow as a result of Dominion’s suppression of speech and attacks on the Company,” the suit states.
What we need to recognize is that when returned these verdicts will not just tell us about these individual cases; they will foretell whether we are moving toward a political culture of accountability to the nation’s stated ideals.
Dominion Voting Systems has sent a cease-and-desist letter to former Michigan state senator Patrick Colbeck (R), who Dominion notes has claimed, without evidence, that Dominion’s voting machines were rigged so President Joe Biden could win the state during the 2020 general
Dominion Voting Systems filed a $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News, citing the network’s continued news coverage that has spread the baseless claim that the 2020 general election was fraudulent, lies that contributed to the storming of the United States Capitol by a mob of former President Donald Trump’s supporters on January 6.
Dominion argues that Fox News “sold a false story of election fraud in order to serve its own commercial purposes, severely injuring Dominion in the process,” according to a copy of the lawsuit obtained by The Associated Press.
“This was a conscious, knowing business decision to endorse and repeat and broadcast these lies in order to keep its viewership,” said attorney Justin Nelson, of Susman Godfrey.
Former President Donald Trump’s attorney Rudy Giuliani tried to dodge process server after Dominion Voting Systems filed a $1.3 billion defamation lawsuit against him for peddling the former president’s baseless conspiracy theories.
“After not responding to requests to waive service, Mr. Giuliani evaded in-person service of process for nearly a week,” said Tom Clare, an attorney for Dominion. “It took numerous attempts, at both his home and office, before we were able to successfully serve Mr. Giuliani on February 10.”
Dominion Voting Systems has sued MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell for $1.3 billion, arguing that Lindell defamed the company by promoting the baseless conspiracy theory that falsely claimed Dominion conspired with foreign powers to rig voting machines to stop former President Donald Trump from winning the 2020 general election.
The company seeks more than $651 million in punitive damages as well as a further $651.7 million in compensation from Lindell. Dominion’s claim is about four times MyPillow’s annual revenue.
“As a result of the false accusations disseminated to a global audience by Lindell, his allies, and like-minded media outlets… Dominion has suffered unprecedented reputational and financial harm, and its employees’ lives have been put in danger,” the company’s lawsuit read.
The lawsuit was imminent: In January and February 2021, Dominion warned Lindell that they planned to sue him for his role in peddling election disinformation.
“You have positioned yourself as a prominent leader of the ongoing misinformation campaign,” Dominion wrote in a letter last month.
Shortly afterward, Lindell told The New York Times that he welcomed Dominion’s lawsuit.
“I would really welcome them to sue me because I have all the evidence against them,” he said. “They sent this letter a couple of weeks ago. They’re lying, they’re nervous because I have all the evidence on them.”
Dominion Voting Systems has filed a lawsuit against former President Donald Trump’s attorney Rudy Giuliani, alleging he defamed the company by continuing to push the lie that the election was stolen.
The 107-page lawsuit was filed in the Federal District Court in Washington and seeks damages of more than $1.3 billion. It cites more than 50 statements Giuliani “made at legislative hearings, on Twitter, on his podcast and in the conservative news media, where he spun a fictitious narrative of a plot by one of the biggest voting machine manufacturers in the country to flip votes to President Biden,” according to The New York Times.
Scoop: Dominion Voting Systems has sued Rudy Giuliani for his false claims over the election.
Seeking $1.3 billion.
— Nick Corasaniti (@NYTnickc)
January 25, 2021
Dominion Voting Systems has filed a defamation lawsuit against lawyer Sidney Powell for pushing blatantly false claims about the election, including that Dominion machines were compromised. Dominion says it has been the victim of a “viral disinformation campaign” that Powell mounted “to financially enrich herself, to raise her public profile, and to ingratiate herself to Donald Trump.”
“We feel that it’s important for the entire electoral process,” Dominion CEO John Poulos told The Washington Post, adding that he would prefer the case go to trial so the facts around the 2020 election can be presented. “The allegations, I know they were lobbed against us . . . but the impacts go so far beyond us.”
Dominion says it has spent more than $565,000 on protection for its personnel since the claims about its software began to circulate.
The claim that Dominion voting machines were compromised in some way has already been debunked. A statement posted last month by the federal Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), part of a joint statement from the Election Infrastructure Government Coordinating Council and the Election Infrastructure Sector Coordinating Executive Committees, revealed the agencies found “no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes, or was in any way compromised.” The statement went on to refer to the 2020 general election as “the most secure in American history.”
These facts did not stop President Trump from urging his Twitter followers to watch a broadcast from Fox News host Sean Hannity that gave still more air time to the Dominion conspiracy theory, which originated from the pro-Trump
Must see @seanhannity takedown of the horrible, inaccurate and anything but secure Dominion Voting System which is used in States where tens of thousands of votes were stolen from us and given to Biden. Likewise, the Great @LouDobbs has a confirming and powerful piece!
Jonathan Turley, a professor of constitutional law at the George Washington University and legal analyst, appeared on “Fox and Friends” this morning and appeared to lend credence to a conspiracy theory about voting systems that has already been debunked.
“In Michigan, you had thousands of vote that went to [President-elect Joe] Biden that belonged to [President Donald] Trump,” Turley said. “Now that doesn’t mean that there’s a nefarious purpose. This is a new software that’s apparently vulnerable to human error. And it was used, it was rather ubiquitous, it was used in a great number of states, about half the districts in Michigan.”
“And it’s one of the reasons some of us are saying ‘Let’s take a look at this, let’s open it up to make sure that software systems like that function correctly,'” he continued, adding that “human error” can “go on to affect lots of votes.”
“Fox and Friends” co-host Steve Doocy went on to stress that voting machines maintained by Dominion Voting Systems, a voting software company used in 28 states, were vulnerable.
You can watch the exchange below.
Jonathan Turley falsely claims Dominion voting machines in Michigan switched "thousands" of Trump votes to Biden votes. Dominion machines were only used in one MI county that had problems, all of which were human error, and none of which affected results. https://t.co/qXLuifcfM6 pic.twitter.com/Xz7A6O5Ct9