White House Communications Agency

The White House Communications Agency (WHCA), originally known as the White House Signal Corps (WHSC) and then the White House Signal Detachment (WHSD), was officially formed by the United States Department of War on 25 March 1942 under President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

The organization was created to provide normal and emergency communications requirements in support of the President. The organization provided mobile radio, Teletype, telephone and cryptographic aides in the White House and at “Shangri-La” (now known as Camp David). The organizational mission was to provide a premier communication system that would enable the President to lead the nation effectively.