The ranking Democrat on the House Oversight Committee, Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) sent a letter to Trump administration officials asking when they became aware that their own staff was feeding information House Intelligence Committee Chair Devin Nunes. The questions that Cummings asked should terrify the White House.
In his letter to White House Counsel Donald McGahn and National Security Advisor Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster, Cummings asked:
(1) Were either of you personally aware of the activities of your own staff in contacting Chairman Nunes, facilitating his entry onto the White House grounds, or providing him with access to classified information?
(2) If so, when did you become aware? Did you inform Mr. Spicer of their activities, and if so, when did you do so?
(3) If you were not aware, then how did this breach of the chain of command occur?
(4) If these activities occurred without your knowledge, will any disciplinary measures be taken against these staff for this apparent breach?
(5) Was anyone else at the White House involved in these activities, and if so, who?
Low-level staffers don’t go nosing through intelligence data on their initiative. They were directed by someone in the White House to find information that would prove their boss was right about Obama wiretapping him during the campaign.
Rep. Cummings wants to know who was behind the operation to feed Nunes the information. These are the vital questions that get to the heart of the White House’s behavior. Democrats aren’t going to let Trump and his allies sabotage the investigation. They are going to keep digging, and if one wants to understand why Donald Trump walked out of the room when he was asked by reporters about Mike Flynn think about those five questions above and ask yourself what is it that this White House does not want me to know?
Jason is the managing editor. He is also a White House Press Pool and a Congressional correspondent for PoliticusUSA. Jason has a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science. His graduate work focused on public policy, with a specialization in social reform movements.
Awards and Professional Memberships
Member of the Society of Professional Journalists and The American Political Science Association
Speaker for now Kevin McCarthy has ignored a request to postpone House votes so that…
House Democratic Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) has told Democrats to vote against any motion to…
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) has followed through and filed a motion to vacate against Speaker…
The Lincoln Project is running a new ad at the Manhattan courthouse and Trump Tower…
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) is now accusing Speaker Kevin McCarthy of negotiating a secret side…