While some major universities are advising their students that they are studying Trump’s Muslim ban, the University of Michigan released a statement on Saturday that flatly refused to release the immigration status of their students. The Maize and Blue isn’t playing along with Trump’s Muslim prejudice.
In a statement, the University reiterated their policy on non-discrimination, privacy, and public safety:
– The University of Michigan welcomes and supports students without regard to their immigration status. We will continue to admit students in a manner consistent with our non-discrimination policy. Once students are admitted, the university is committed to fostering an environment in which each student can flourish.
– The university complies with federal requirements associated with managing its international programs. Otherwise, the university does not share sensitive information like immigration status.
– Campus police do not inquire about or record immigration status when performing their duties.
– In accordance with federal law, the enforcement of immigration law rests with Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection. Campus police will not partner with federal, state, or other local law enforcement agencies to enforce federal immigration law except when required to do so by law.
– The university maintains a strong commitment to the privacy of student records for all students, consistent with state and federal laws. We do not provide information on immigration status to anyone except when required by law.
– The university offers in-state tuition to undocumented students who meet certain conditions.
– The university offers confidential counseling services to all students.
Trump’s illegal Muslim ban is an act of terror against students who are in this country legally to get an education. Universities across the country are scrambling to reassure students and prevent them from leaving the country.
International students add valuable skills to US workforces both at home and abroad. Trump’s actions will damage the US economy.
More universities need to follow the lead of the University of Michigan and a take a clear and unambiguous stand against this executive order. The Trump administration is trying to create a culture of legal prejudice against Muslims. It is time to the academic world to join the resistance.
Note: If you are an international student impacted by Trump’s executive order, please use the Contact Us form to share your story.