A new Quinnipiac University poll found that Bernie Sanders would crush Donald Trump in a potential 2016 general election contest.
According to Quinnipiac University:
– Clinton thumps Trump 48 – 36 percent. She gets 41 percent to Bush’s 42 percent and gets 44 percent to Walker’s 43 percent.
– Biden tops Trump 49 – 37 percent. He gets 43 percent to Bush’s 42 percent and ties Walker 43 – 43 percent.
– Sanders beats Trump 45 – 37 percent. Bush edges Sanders 44 – 39 percent and
– Walker slips past Sanders 42 – 37 percent.
– Trump has the worst favorability rating of any Republican or Democrat, a negative 27 – 59 percent among all voters, with Clinton getting a negative 40 – 51 percent score, her worst ever.
Sanders also posted a new high approval rating of 32%, and the constant negative Republican and media attacks have taken a toll on Hillary Clinton who now has a net (-20) rating on the question of honesty and trustworthiness. In contrast, Sen. Sanders has a net (+18) rating on honesty and trustworthiness.
Bernie Sanders was not supposed to be a serious presidential candidate, but the senator from Vermont would defeat the current Republican leader, and he runs within five points of the other top Republican candidates. The poll confirms that Democrats have the top two candidates in either party. Clinton still beats Sanders by wide margin among Democrats nationally (55%-17%), but the media spent years denying Sanders the respect that he deserves, but the numbers are proving that he is a national political force.
One of the main goals of the Sanders campaign is to build a national populist movement that can take back the government from the Koch brothers and their oligarchic allies. Donald Trump is the embodiment of the entitled billionaires that Bernie Sanders is campaigning against. The poll demonstrates the power of the Sanders grassroots populist message.
The success of the Bernie Sanders presidential campaign reflects the nation’s move left. Sanders would beat the billionaire, as the American people want a president who will speak for them instead of a reality television star who is running for president because he is “really rich.”
Mr. Easley is the founder/managing editor and Senior White House and Congressional correspondent for PoliticusUSA.Jason has a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science. His graduate work focused on public policy, with a specialization in social reform movements.
Awards and Professional Memberships
Member of the Society of Professional Journalists and The American Political Science Association